Sunday, April 15, 2012

Delicious Tomato Glop

Yesterday I bought this stuff. It's called Amore Tomato Paste. It's a box at the store, and when you open the box what you get is this thing that looks like a toothpaste tube, and it's full of tomato paste. The tomatoes I get are always going bad because I'm not using them fast enough, so I thought that this might be a good substitute.

I did buy grape tomatoes yesterday, though, so with this tomato paste and the grape tomatoes, I decided to do a little experiment. I ended up with delicious tomato glop.


I guess you could call it a sauce. It's pretty chunky, though, and really tasty. And I made it in the microwave! It's really quick, too, so even if you have a stove you can make this quickly in the microwave if your pasta is done but you don't have a sauce.

Anyway. To make the glop, you need:
about 6 grape tomatoes
1/5th tube of tomato paste
1 tbsp olive oil
Water
salt and sugar to taste
Any seasonings you want to add -- I put in some oregano and a finely chopped garlic clove, but you can put in whatever. Other spices and a bit of vinegar might be nice, too.

How to make the glop:

Chop up the grape tomatoes. About 6 sections per grape tomato is fine. The finer you chop the grape tomato the less chunky the end result will be. Add the olive oil, and squirt on the tomato paste. Mix well. Add a couple tablespoons of water, salt and sugar, and any seasonings. You can add those later to taste, too. Microwave on high for 3 minutes covered. After those three minutes are up, take out the dish, mix again, and microwave uncovered for three minutes. After that, mix in about 1 tablespoon of water into the mix, and stir well. Season to taste.

Here's the end result on that goddess of all pastas, tortellini, for an idea of the texture:

I will definitely be making this stuff again soon. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment